End Childhood Hunger
Our commitment to help end childhood hunger reflects our corporate vision to bring peace of mind to everyone we touch and our focus on protecting families.
In 2017, we began our journey to tackle this pervasive issue through a comprehensive approach in collaboration with our community partners. Our ongoing work includes:
- Targeting donations through the National Life Group Foundation, which helped fund:
- Summer meals programs during the pandemic providing nutritious food for all children ages 0-18
- Transportation to help get food to kids and families, especially in this rural state
- Expansion for a cooler at the Vermont Foodbank to increase the amount of fresh produce distributed
- Research through the Urban Institute to get to the heart of the problem and share with others to use as a benchmark for their own programs
- The construction and installation of our first Do Good Cupboard, providing emergency resources for the community
- Employee volunteers who regularly donate their time with organizations including the Vermont Foodbank, Hunger Free Vermont, Central Vermont Community Harvest, and others that help get food to children and families
To help tackle this issue, we’ve been working with statewide organizations making a difference now, including:
They’re committed to ending hunger in Vermont, but we know there’s more we collectively can do.
Our employees have come together to create the Employee Action Team (E.A.T.), working in a grassroots manner to help end childhood hunger. We’ve also formed a Childhood Hunger Steering Committee combining the efforts of our employees and thought leaders from throughout the state who can help us pull together the right resources to make a difference.
How Can You Help?
Donate to your local food shelf
Glean. Helping local farms share their harvest and spend time outside!
Don’t judge. Stigma is one of the greatest barriers to getting nutritious food to people, both young and old.
Continue to visit this page! As we gain momentum, we’ll update our activity here. You can also leave comments or questions about how we can all help at Giving@nationallife.com.
Click on the cookbook for your complimentary, limited edition copy.
Ending Hunger: A Community Cookbook is a compilation of National Life employee recipes, each of which was matched with a donation to local food banks.